I’m not going to tiptoe around porn.
If you are a porn addict, you are probably repeatedly not in a state of grace.
Some people might say that culpability is reduced because if porn has become a habit, you probably can’t help yourself.
That might be true. Speak to your priest to be sure, but do you really want to take the chance of going to hell?
It’s time to stop making excuses about porn.
It’s time to gird your loins, whether you’re a man or a woman and get serious about breaking this habit.
Here are three ways you can overcome porn.
1) Overcome Porn by Praying the Rosary
Pray the rosary daily.
“If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I assure you that in spite of the gravity of your sins, you shall receive a never-fading crown of glory. Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in Hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practice black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if and mark well what I say — if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon of your sins.” St Louis de Montfort.
The rosary is the most efficacious way of overcoming porn in my opinion.
Look at these Fifteen Promises of Mary Granted to those who Recite the Rosary
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
2) Overcome Porn by Going to Daily Mass
Do you love receiving the Eucharist? Go to daily Mass.
It might be that your desire to be in a state of grace in order to receive, might give you some strength to resist the porn temptation.
St Therese said:
“Receive Communion often, very often…there you have the sole remedy, if you want to be cured. Jesus has not put this attraction in your heart for nothing…”
St Ambrose acknowledged that frequent communion is a remedy for sin.
“If, whenever Christ’s blood is shed, it is shed for the forgiveness of sins, I who sin often, should receive it often: I need a frequent remedy.”
Receiving our Lord daily will give you so many graces. Again, check with your priest regarding how often you should receive for your particular situation.
During the pandemic, of course you won’t be able to go to daily Mass now. Let’s pray for our Churches to resume Mass again, God willing.
3) Overcome Porn by Fasting & Doing Penance
Jesus himself said that some demons do not go out except by praying and fasting.
Fast and offer up small mortifications.
Refuse that second helping. End your shower with 2 minutes of cold water. Read scripture & other spiritual books. Keep a tight rein on your tongue when you feel like telling someone off.
All these mortifications help you to train your will and thus help you to resist the big sins.
4) Overcome Porn Addiction by Using an Internet Filter or Accountability Software
Along with prayer, you might find it useful to voluntarily give up some of your freedom by using an internet filter or accountability software. Ask your spouse to help you set it up.
Overcome Porn by using an Internet Accountability Software
Sometimes all people need are a way of remaining accountable.
This is where internet filters and accountability software come in.
You all have probably seen Covenant Eyes promoted all over the place. I plan on doing an in-depth review of Covenant Eyes soon but for now, you can check them out to see how it works.
They often have 30-days free promotions, but if they don’t currently have one, enter promo code: BSA-30 to get 30-days free.
Hi there! If you purchase any of our recommended products, we might receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Chastecourtship.com!